Prey lets you keep track of your laptop, phone and tablet whenever stolen or missing -- easily and all in one place. It's lightweight, open source software that gives you full and remote control, 24/7.
- “Reusing is always better than recycling.” Please keep that in mind when getting a new phone February 19, 2013
- Your email account is your last line of defense. Hold it at all costs! February 8, 2013
- How to automatize Prey notifications and a bunch of other services with IFTTT February 5, 2013
- How to track a lost device with no anti-theft software installed January 25, 2013
- All-new Prey coming soon: Enroll to get early access January 22, 2013
How it works
Silent but deadlyBasically you install a tiny agent in your PC or phone, which silently waits for a remote signal to wake up and work its magic.
This signal is sent either from the Internet or through an SMS message, and allows you to gather information regarding the device's location, hardware and network status, and optionally trigger specific actions on it. Next
Recover what is rightfully yoursYou can quickly find out where your computer is located, who's using it, and what he's doing on it thanks to Prey's powerful reports system.
By marking your device as missing, Prey will gather all the evidence you request and send it either to your Control Panel account or directly to your mailbox, depending on the reporting method you choose. Next
With the push of a buttonBesides gathering information, you can also trigger actions remotely such as sounding a loud alarm or showing a message which will appear onscreen – just in case you want the guy to know he's being chased at.
You can also wipe your stored passwords for security, or even lock down your PC to prevent access. In other words, you're in control. Next
1. Prey + Control PanelRecommended for most users. You monitor your devices on Prey's web Control Panel, where you can watch new reports arrive and manage specific settings, such as changing the frequency for reports and actions. You can add up to three devices for free, and can optionally upgrade to a Pro Account in case you wish to bypass this limit.
2. Prey StandaloneFor advanced users who wish more control. In this case, reports fly directly to your inbox but you need to set up your SMTP settings, and more importantly, you must generate a valid web URL which will trigger Prey to wake up when deleted -- otherwise Prey will keep sending reports on each interval! (For more information please check our FAQ).
100% geolocation awarePrey uses either the device's GPS or the nearest WiFi hotspots to triangulate and grab a fix on its location. It's shockingly accurate.
Wifi autoconnectIf enabled, Prey will attempt to hook onto to the nearest open WiFi hotspot when no Internet connection is found.
Light as a featherPrey has very few dependencies and doesn't even leave a memory footprint until activated. We care as much as you do.
Know your enemyTake a picture of the thief with your laptop's webcam so you know what he looks like and where he's hiding. Powerful evidence.
Watch their movementsGrab a screenshot of the active session -- if you're lucky you may catch the guy logged into his email or Facebook account!
Keep your data safeHide your Outlook or Thunderbird data and optionally remove your stored passwords, so no one will be able to look into your stuff.
No unauthorized accessFully lock down your PC, making it unusable unless a specific password is entered. The guy won't be able to do a thing!
Scan your hardwareGet a complete list of your PC's CPU, motherboard, RAM, and BIOS information. Works great when used with Active Mode.
Full auto updaterPrey can check its current version and automagically fetch and update itself, so you don't need to manually reinstall each time.
and the ability to track large numbers of devices.
If you have ever had your laptop stolen or left it at your buddies place and they swear they have not seen it or if you just like to play it safe then prey is for you.
Here I talk about the open source free tracking program called prey. Prey is a software based mobile tracking program for your notebooks, smart phones, and tablets.
In this video I do a walk through of the the program and show the tracking information you can gather as well as giving my thoughts and opinions about Prey Project.
Edited with and added the water mark using a trial version of Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.