Commerce is fine. Advertising is not evil. But it doesn't belong here. Not in Wikipedia.
Wikipedia is something special. It is like a library or a public park. It is like a temple for the mind. It is a place we can all go to think, to learn, to share our knowledge with others.
When I founded Wikipedia, I could have made it into a for-profit company with advertising banners, but I decided to do something different. We’ve worked hard over the years to keep it lean and tight. We fulfill our mission efficiently.
If everyone reading this donated 25 lei, our fundraiser would be done within an hour. But not everyone can or will donate. And that's fine. Each year just enough people decide to give.
This year, please consider making a donation of 25 lei, 50 lei, 75 lei or whatever you can to protect and sustain Wikipedia.
We are trying to make it easy for people in every country to donate. Please let us know how we could make it easier for you. Send your suggestions to: email@example.com.
|This film is a requirement for LAEN 106 General English Level 4|
Present to Ajarn Onsiri Paladesh
submitted date: 23/2/2013
Donor Bill of RightsWe support the Donor Bill of Rights.
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not- for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization's mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization's governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
What information we collectWikimedia. We use personal information collected from donors for the purposes of processing payments and communicating with donors about Wikimedia as well as conducting the fundraising and other operations of Wikimedia. This information may include name, amount donated, address, telephone number, donor comments, e-mail address, and any other personal information provided to us (“Donor Data”). For donations by check, Donor Data also includes the data visible on the check.
Payment Processors and Other Service Providers. Payment processors allow donors to give electronically using a payment services account, a credit card, or other payment method. These processors collect certain information from donors, and you should consult their privacy policies to determine their practices.
To provide donors the best possible experience, we work with service providers and may share Donor Data and other information with, or have it transmitted through, them. Such service providers include, for example, collocation facilities and bandwidth providers as well as organizations that help non-profit organizations with fundraising.
How we use that informationDonor Data. Donor Data may be used for these kinds of purposes:
- Distributing receipts and thanking donors for donations
- Informing donors about upcoming fundraising and other activities of Wikimedia
- Internal analysis, such as research and analytics
- Record keeping
- Reporting to applicable government agencies as required by law
- Surveys, metrics, and other analytical purposes
- Other purposes related to the fundraising operations
We use data gathered for payment processors and other service providers only for the purposes described in this policy.
Financial informationIt is our internal policy to limit access to financial information to professional staff and volunteers who need to process that information for the purposes described above. Personal financial information is not sold to or traded with other parties.
We use partners to provide online payment processing services. Usually, the privacy policies of these organizations will be presented to you on their respective websites and typically also as part of your donation process. If you pay by credit card, we do not store your credit card information, bank account numbers, or other financial account data sent directly to those processing services.
Donations to Wikimedia made by check go to a bank lockbox. This provides a particularly high level of security and confidentiality.
- Wikimedia Foundation Inc.
- 149 New Montgomery Street, 3rd Floor
- San Francisco, CA 94105
- Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
- P.O. Box 98204
- Washington, DC 20090-8204
- Note: donations by check are processed directly at our centralized lockbox location which is in Washington, DC.
SecurityWe are committed to protecting donor personal information from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction. Among other things, we undertake a range of security practices, including measures to help secure web access to sensitive data and undertake efforts to address security vulnerabilities for various tools and databases.
Other DisclosuresWe may disclose information when required by law; when needed to protect our rights, privacy, safety, property, donors, or users; and when necessary to enforce our terms of service.
Data DestinationWikimedia is a worldwide organization. By donating, you consent to the transfer of the collected information to the United States and other places as may be necessary to carry out the purposes and objectives set out in this policy.
Data RetentionWe seek to retain donor-related information only as needed to fulfill the purposes described in this policy unless a longer retention period is required by law or regulations. For example, tax laws in the United States and the State of Florida may require the Foundation to keep contact information and contribution level of donors on file.
RightsYou have certain rights with respect to the information we collect about you. Upon request, we will tell you what information we hold about you and correct any incorrect information. We will also make reasonable efforts to delete your information if you ask us to do so, unless we are otherwise required to keep it.
ScopeThis particular policy applies to the entity that is posting it. If you visit the Wikimedia donation page from a location that has a Chapter, you might be – though not necessarily -- redirected to that Chapter’s website. Chapters are independent and may post different policies and practices depending on local law requirements and other considerations. Chapters who participate in the fundraising, however, are expected to adhere to the general principles set out in this policy. This policy does not address data from sources other than donations, such as edits or content contributions to projects or features.
- Last Updated September, 2011
- (for reference)
- (for reference)
- Source: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donor_policy/en