- occasionally seen as eurosceptic include perceptions of the EU ... Euroscepticism is found across political parties across the left and right, ...26 KB (3,535 words) - 05:03, 21 February 2013
- cz is a eurosceptic party in the Czech Republic that was founded in ... Category:Eurosceptic parties Category:Euroscepticism in the Czech ...6 KB (756 words) - 03:51, 31 October 2012
- In this way it contrasts with some other mainstream eurosceptic parties such as the United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP). ...15 KB (1,979 words) - 20:54, 23 February 2013
- The UK Independence Party (UKIP, Ukip. icon | ˈ | juː | k | ... is a Eurosceptic right-wing populist political party in the United Kingdom . ...61 KB (8,454 words) - 00:25, 27 February 2013
- The Referendum Party was a Eurosceptic , single issue party in the United Kingdom ... pro-European MPs from all parties were not opposed ...7 KB (982 words) - 10:03, 19 February 2013
- Eurosceptic political parties: Category:Eurosceptic parties in the United Kingdom. a Referendum is another Eurosceptic party, which was ...29 KB (3,905 words) - 16:31, 22 February 2013
- The June List (Junilistan, jl) is a Swedish , eurosceptic political party . ... Among the Swedish parties represented in parliament, only the ...6 KB (836 words) - 13:24, 25 February 2013
- The Party of Free Citizens or the Free Citizens' Party ... Svobodní) is a libertarian eurosceptic political party in the Czech Republic . ...4 KB (456 words) - 11:14, 19 January 2013
- political party in Iceland Liberal conservative and Eurosceptic it ... This united the two parties advocating Icelandic independence , ...24 KB (2,906 words) - 12:04, 26 February 2013
- The United Kingdom First Party was a small short-lived populist , Eurosceptic ... in order to achieve the two parties' goals, with the two ...5 KB (614 words) - 10:05, 19 February 2013
- Ny Framtid, abbreviated NYF (New Future) is a eurosceptic political party in ... Swedish Election Authority: 2006 election results, other parties ...2 KB (211 words) - 07:08, 18 February 2013
- The EDP was founded in reaction to the rising influence of eurosceptic parties within European institutions. European centrist parties ...7 KB (595 words) - 16:05, 22 February 2013
- Odbudowy Polski, ROP) is a conservative and Eurosceptic political party in Poland . ... Lewis | title Political Parties in Post-Communist ...2 KB (208 words) - 17:30, 6 February 2013
- The Right-Green party (Hægri Grænir) is a Right-wing , Eurosceptic , Green ... Category:Euroscepticism in Iceland Category:Political parties in ...1 KB (118 words) - 21:45, 25 January 2013
- The United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) held a leadership election in 2009, ... The Eurosceptic party had been led by Nigel Farage ...6 KB (656 words) - 12:47, 12 January 2013
- The Civic Democratic Party ... The ODS is liberal conservative supports economic liberalism and is notably Eurosceptic It is modelled on the ...20 KB (2,589 words) - 15:10, 22 February 2013
- for Freedom (EAF) is a pan- European political party of right-wing Eurosceptics . Unlike in other pan-European parties, the members of the ...6 KB (642 words) - 13:12, 30 January 2013
- The party is also eurosceptic . ... Most other parties have continued the cordon sanitaire which was originally agreed on against the former ...31 KB (3,894 words) - 00:45, 22 February 2013
- The opposition Social Democrats made major gains, mainly at the expense of Eurosceptic parties such as the June Movement . Results ...2 KB (155 words) - 04:26, 28 October 2012
- The United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) held a leadership election in ... The Eurosceptic party had been led since 2002 by Roger Knapman ...4 KB (491 words) - 14:10, 15 April 2012
- a far-right political party condemning immigration, social integration, and ... pan-European eurosceptic party European Alliance for Freedom ...3 KB (298 words) - 02:29, 27 February 2013
- The Conservative Party, officially the Conservative and Unionist Party, is a ... Conservatives become the most eurosceptic of the three major parties. ...96 KB (12,564 words) - 00:16, 27 February 2013
- abbreviated to SaS, is a centre-right classical liberal political party in Slovakia . ... and same-sex marriage It is moderately eurosceptic . ...18 KB (2,244 words) - 01:23, 26 February 2013
- The Party for Freedom (Partij voor de Vrijheid, PVV) is a right-wing political ... established centre right parties in the Netherlands (like ...66 KB (9,503 words) - 10:46, 25 February 2013
- The Freedom Party of Austria ... announced deeper cooperation between their parties Shortly thereafter, the FPÖ attempted to become a member of ...57 KB (8,022 words) - 01:52, 22 February 2013
- The British National Party (BNP) is a far-right political party formed as a ... the lack of success for both parties in comparison to ...179 KB (26,653 words) - 14:53, 25 February 2013
- is a eurosceptic German political party founded in 2009. It is a member ... Category:Political parties established in 2009 Category:Libertas. ...4 KB (510 words) - 10:44, 18 May 2012
- The Socialist People's Party (Socialistisk Folkeparti, SF) is a green and ... Relationships to other parties: Social Liberal Party and the ...24 KB (2,954 words) - 01:04, 23 February 2013
- Both parties, ChristianUnionand SGP are eurosceptic and morally conservative . with one combined list which has candidates from all parties. ...2 KB (261 words) - 11:56, 17 February 2013
- political party launched by Nikki Sinclaire MEP in June 2012 It is a eurosceptic ... Category:Eurosceptic parties in the United Kingdom ...5 KB (647 words) - 10:05, 19 February 2013
- The party takes a more moderate ... 'Green card ' – and is eurosceptic . ... announced that it will not accept members who belong to other parties. ...42 KB (5,856 words) - 16:40, 21 February 2013
- Party It is largest party to take a eurosceptic line, and is a ... The party is marked out from the other parties by being Eurosceptic ...22 KB (2,782 words) - 06:45, 26 February 2013
- The National Democratic Party of Germany – The People's Union ... continued friendly relations with other nationalists and European national parties. ...36 KB (5,056 words) - 20:31, 21 February 2013
- Nationalism , Soft euroscepticism , Populism | position Right-wing ... (Democratisch Politiek Keerpunt, DPK) is a political party in the Netherlands . ...3 KB (366 words) - 12:08, 17 February 2013
- The English Democrats are an English federalist political party , committed to the ... parties other than the Conservatives , such as Labour ...38 KB (5,033 words) - 09:36, 24 February 2013
- Libertas is a political party founded by Declan Ganley that took part in the ... Affiliate parties retained their original names Members of ...50 KB (6,577 words) - 07:41, 26 February 2013
- Soft euroscepticism , Anti-Islam , Populism | position Right-wing ... The Independent Citizens' Party (Onafhankelijke Burger Partij, OBP) was ...3 KB (369 words) - 12:16, 17 February 2013
SubcategoriesThis category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Five Star Movement
|MoVimento 5 Stelle
Five Star Movement
|Founded||4 October 2009|
|Membership (2012)||255.339[third-party source needed]|
|European Parliament group||no MEPs|
|Colours||Yellow and White|
|Chamber of Deputies|
|Politics of Italy
|This article documents a current event. Information may change rapidly as the event progresses. (February 2013)|
The "five stars" in the name is a reference to five issues championed by the movement: public water, sustainable mobility, development, connectivity, and environmentalism.
2010 regional electionsAt the 2010 regional elections the M5S obtained notable results in the five regions where it ran a candidate for President: Giovanni Favia gained 7.0% of the vote in Emilia-Romagna (6.0% for the list, 2 regional councillors elected), Davide Bono 4.1% in Piedmont (3.7%, 2 councillors), David Borrelli 3.2% in Veneto (2.6%, no councillors), Vito Crimi 3.0% in Lombardy (2.3%, no councillors) and Roberto Fico 1.3% in Campania (1.3%, no councillors).
2012 local electionsAt the 2012 local elections the M5S did well in several cities of the North, notably in Genoa (14.1%), Verona (9.5%), Parma (19.9%), Monza (10.2%), and Piacenza (10.0%). In the small Venetian town of Sarego, the M5S's candidate was elected mayor with 35.2% of the vote (there is no run-off in towns with less than 15,000 inhabitants). In the run-offs the party won the mayorships of Parma (60.2%), Mira (52.5%), and Comacchio (69.2%).
After the election, the party has consistently scored around 15-20% nationally in opinion polls, frequently ahead of The People of Freedom and second just to the Democratic Party (see 2013 general election).
2012 Sicilian regional electionAt the Sicilian regional elections of 2012 the M5S filed as candidate Giancarlo Cancelleri. The campaign kicked-off with Grillo's arrival in Messina on 10 October swimming from the mainland. In the election Cancelleri came third with 18.2% of the vote, while the M5S was the most voted party with 14.9%, obtaining 15 seats out of 90 in the Regional Assembly, in a very fragmented political landscape. The election was however characterized by a low participation as only 47.4% of eligible voters effectively turned out to vote.
2013 general electionOn 29 October 2012, Grillo announced the guidelines for standing as party candidates in the 2013 general election. For the first time in Italy, the candidates were chosen by party members through an online primary between 3 and 6 December.
On 12 December, Grillo expelled two leading members from the party: Giovanni Favia, regional councillor of Emilia-Romagna, and Federica Salsi, municipal councillor in Bologna. The former had talked about the lack of democracy within the party, while the latter had taken part in a political talk show on Italian television, something that was discouraged and later forbidden by Grillo.
On 22 February 2013, a large crowd attended the last meeting of Beppe Grillo before the election, in Piazza San Giovanni in Rome.
In the election, M5S won 25.5% of the vote for the Chamber of Deputies, more than any other single party. The Democratic Party on 25.4% (but had a higher percentage with its coalition partners).
|Chamber of Deputies|
|Election year||# of
| % of
overall seats won
|# of seats won
for citizens abroad
|Election year||# of
| % of
overall seats won
- Il Movimento per la Decrescita Felice prende le distanze dal Movimento 5 Stelle
- "NOTIZIE IN DUE MINUTI". Corriere della Sera. 5. p. p.64. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "Nasce il Movimento (a 5 stelle) di Liberazione Nazionale di Beppe Grillo" (in Italian). polisblog. Blogo.it. 5. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "Italian politics: A waning star? | The Economist". Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- "Italian upstart party does well in local polls" (in English). AFP. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "Populist former comic frightens Italy's parties" (in English). Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "Beppe Grillo: The new live wire of Italian politics" (in English). Times of Malta. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- Andrea Mollica (10). "Beppe Grillo: “L’Italia deve uscire dall’euro”" (in Italian). Giornalettisimo. Giornalettisimo. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "Elezioni 2012, Amministrative" (in Italian). Corriere della Sera. RCS Mediagroup S.p.a.. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "Elezioni 2012 Amministrative,Risultati Comune diVERONA" (in Italian). Corriere della Sera. RCS Mediagroup S.p.a.. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "Elezioni Amministrative 2012, risultati comune di Parma". Corriere della Sera.
- "Elezioni Amministrative 2012, risultati comune di Monza". Corriere della Sera.
- "Elezioni Amministrative 2012, risultati comune di Piacenza". Corriere della Sera.
- "Elezioni Amministrative 2012, risultati comune di Sarego". Corriere della Sera.
- "Elezioni Amministrative 2012, risultati comune di Mira". Corriere della Sera.
- "Elezioni Amministrative 2012, risultati comune di Comacchio". Corriere della Sera.
- "Elections in Sicily: Tip of the boot". The Economist. 27 October 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Tom Kington (4 November 2012). "Italian comedian turned politician in row over his 'medieval sexism'". The Observer. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "Sicily's first gay governor opens a new schism between Italy's old enemies - Europe - World - The Independent". Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- "Passaparola - Comunicato Politico 53 - Elezioni politiche online - Beppe Grillo - YouTube". Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Politiche, Grillo esclude i big E i «perdenti» si fanno avanti - Corriere di Bologna". Retrieved 2012-10-30.
Support: http://www.ukip.org/donations | http://www.ukipmeps.org | http://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage
• European Parliament, Strasbourg, 6 February 2013
• Speaker: Nigel Farage MEP, Leader of the UK Independence Party (UKIP), Co-President of the 'Europe of Freedom and Democracy' (EFD) Group in the European Parliament - http://nigelfaragemep.co.uk
• Debate: Preparations for the European Council meeting (7-8 February 2013)
Council and Commission statements
The highlight of today's debate was Liberal leader Mr Verhofstadt comparing the Seven-Year EU economic plan with the Soviet Union's Five-Year economic plan, and it was said without any sense of irony at all, which I thought was delicious.
Well, if the leaders meet tomorrow to discuss this budget what a curious position David Cameron finds himself in.
He made the big speech, he talked about a referendum in the future, and yet he has been criticised at home for making us wait perhaps up to five years before we can have our say.
Most people doubt his Eurosceptic sincerity, indeed he emphasised in that speech how pro-European Union he is, and yet here today he is met with venomous attacks as if he was some terrible wrecker. I would have thought his chances of renegotiating very much looked pretty limited.
So, I feel a bit sorry for him because he is like Piggy in the Middle, and you all remember from childhood what a frustrating and difficult place that it is to be.
But he has made the speech and we are going to have a proper debate in Britain about EU membership. But it is a debate that is changing. You see the budget is not our top line issue. We pay in 53 million pounds a day, and whether that goes up to 60 million pounds or not, many of us are saying why pay in a penny piece.
Barroso's idea that a pound or a euro spent at European level is worth more than a pound or euro spent at national level - perhaps you have invented nuclear money, I have no idea. What perhaps we should recognise is that unemployment is actually being caused by Europe's policies, in particular the mistaken Euro project.
But the debate in Britain has changed. And now it is about immigration. People in Britain are shocked at the change in every single city and market town since we opened the doors to Eastern Europe in 2004.
I have nothing against Bulgarians and Romanians, but it is unacceptable that we should open our doors to them unconditionally from the first of January next year.
If Mr Cameron does not get a substantial renegotiation of the 'free movement of peoples' then Britain will leave this Union."
• EU Member States:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Spain, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, United Kingdom